Veterans Benefits

Veteran's Benefits

Veterans' Standards of Academic Progress

Students receiving Veterans Administration (VA) benefits will be evaluated on their Standards of Academic Progress (SAP). Veteran Services students are expected to progress at a rate that will permit graduation within the approved length of the program based on the training time paid by the VA. Failure to comply with these provisions may result in the termination of educational benefits by the VA.

In the event that a Veteran Services student receiving VA benefits stops attending, withdraws, audits or fails a class, the College is required to notify the VA of the Veteran Services student's last date of attendance. Faculty are required to note on the grade roster the last date of attendance for any VA student who does not successfully complete a course. Veterans' benefits may cease or be reduced based on class attendance.

Students should report, in writing, any unusual or extenuating circumstances concerning their suspension of benefits to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA always retains the right to make the final determination for receipt of any VA benefits. 

Veterans Administration and Military Education Benefits

Students wishing to use Veterans Administration (VA) and/or Department of Defense (DoD) education benefits must provide proof of eligibility and meet with a veterans' advisor to initiate payment of benefits. PHSC highly encourages those interested in using/applying for their benefits to thoroughly research and understand what each benefit entails. Detailed information about each benefit can be found on the VA's education website or by contacting a PHSC veterans' advisor. Department of Defense benefit information can be obtained through the service member's unit education representative. Note: The Department of Defense or Veterans Administration makes the final determination on a veteran/dependent's eligibility for benefits.

Most degree programs and many certificate and diploma programs at the College are approved for education and training under the various U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs. Even though these programs are approved, it is the responsibility of veteran students to apply for benefits. The VA will not pay benefits for classes outside of students' program of study. See the campus veterans advisor for assistance with your initial application, any changes in your program and to initiate enrollment certification to the VA.

The VA pays most entitlements directly to students. In turn, students must pay for tuition, fees, books and supplies. Veterans who are eligible to receive benefits under Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) Chapter 30, 35, or Chapter 1606/1607, are entitled to one deferment each academic year prior to receipt of VA benefits for payment of tuition and fees only. Deferments are not available for late fees, books and supplies. Veterans who receive deferments first shall complete a Veterans Deferred Payment Agreement (SVA-2) which is processed by the campus veterans advisor.

Under the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 MGIB, the VA will make direct payments to the College for tuition and fees, and to the student for books and housing allowance. Chapter 33 eligible veterans may receive a deferment for payment of tuition and fees, but not for books and supplies. All veteran students are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid. Please note that Chapter 33 pays only the in-state rate for tuition and fees according to the student's eligibility.

Under Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Program, the veteran must provide authorization to cover the cost of tuition, fees, books and supplies.

The deferment starts with the first day of classes and is good for 60 days. If the session is for less than 60 days, the deferment shall be limited to 10 days prior to the last day of the term.

Veterans receiving continued benefits or who have their benefits suspended are not eligible for deferments.

Veterans who fail to meet their financial obligations will have a hold placed on their records and will not be allowed to re-register or receive transcripts until such time as any deferment is paid as outlined in District Board of Trustees Rule, 6Hx19-6.08.

Tutorial assistance is available for veterans who have a deficiency in one or more subjects and may be paid for by the VA. The Campus veterans advisor is the students' link to the VA. The advisor can furnish additional information about VA programs and procedures. Veteran students should consult with the campus veterans advisor prior to selecting, dropping/adding, withdrawing or auditing any class. All of these actions affect benefits. It is the student's responsibility to inquire about all VA rules and regulations and to report any changes in status that affects their benefits.

Purple Heart Waivers (s.1009.26(8) F.S.)

The College will waive tuition and fees for a recipient of a Purple Heart, or other combat decoration superior in precedence. To be eligible, applicants must meet the following conditions:

  1. Be enrolled in at least part-time enrollment in a degree (6 or more credit hours) or a certificate program
  2. Provide documentation of current Florida residence or Florida residency at the time of the awarding of the Purple Heart or eligible medal.
  3. Provide the DD-214 Form issued at the time of separation from service as documentation the individual has received a Purple Heart. If the DD-214 is not available, provide other documentation that is recognized by the United States Department of Defense or the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

Out-of-state Fee Waivers for Non-resident Veterans – Congressman C.W. Bill Young Tuition Waiver Act (s. 1009.26)

Out-of-state tuition fees for veterans are waived for veterans and eligible spouse or dependents who do not meet residency requirements for in-state tuition. The fee waiver may be applied to courses needed to complete a degree or certificate program.

 A veteran or eligible spouse or dependent must document the following to be eligible for this waiver:

  1. A valid DD-214 or NGB-22 Form documenting honorable discharge from their last period of service, or a current Certificate of Eligibility for a Veteran's Education Program (Chapter 33, 30, 35, 31, 1606).
  2. Evidence of a current residence in Florida
  3. Be admitted to PHSC as a student in a program of study leading to a degree or certificate

¹ GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

VA Pending Payment Compliance

For Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch 33) students and VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch 31) students, our tuition policy complies with Title 38 USC 3679(e) which means Post 9/11 and Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment students will not be charged or otherwise penalized due to a delay in Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) direct tuition and fee payments.  For eligibility consideration, a Post 9/11 GI Bill student must submit a VA 'Certificate of Eligibility '(COE) or 'Statement of Benefits' from the DVA website: eBenefits, and a Vocational Rehabilitation student must provide authorization from a Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.  While payment to the institution is pending from the VA, PHSC will not:
  • Prevent the student's enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student or VA;
  • Require a student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries or institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the college.