Disabilities Services

PHSC is an equal access college and does not discriminate against persons with disabilities. PHSC, in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and ADA Amendment Act, makes every reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities. Students requiring any special services or accommodations because of a disability should contact the director of disabilities services at the West Campus or the assistant coordinator of disabilities services at any other campus, and complete a Self-Identification of Disability form. The College requires documentation of a student's disability before providing accommodations for such disability. Prior documentation may have been useful in determining appropriate services in the past. However, documentation must validate the need for services based on the candidate's current level of functioning in the educational setting. A school plan such as an individualized education program (IEP) or a 504 plan is insufficient documentation in and of itself, but can be included as part of a more comprehensive assessment battery. Confidentiality is maintained by law.

Guidelines for the documentation of a disability are available online and through the Office of Disabilities Services on the West Campus, and at the assistant coordinators of disabilities services office at any other campus. Students requiring accommodations should meet with the director of disabilities services every term no later than the first two weeks of class, to discuss their needs and concerns. Qualified students with hearing- or vision-related problems requiring special accommodations related to interpreters or assistive technology must contact the Office of Disabilities Services at least six weeks in advance of the first class. Failure to provide this notice may result in a delay in services. Dual enrollment students requesting accommodations are required to meet PHSC documentation guidelines.

Students who have a documented disability may be eligible for a reasonable course substitution for any requirement for admission or graduation. Students must be able to document that their failure to meet the requirement is directly related to the disability and that the substitution does not constitute a fundamental alteration in the nature of the program. To initiate the process, students must provide the necessary disability documentation and request a course substitution. A course substitution form should be completed with the director of disabilities services in consultation with an academic advisor. The appropriate academic dean will review the request and recommend action. If the academic dean recommends approval, the vice president of academic affairs/college provost  must review the request for final approval. Denials of course substitution requests by the dean may be appealed to the vice president of academic affairs/college provost, who will make a final decision about the request.